Heritage Good News: the ADGB Trade Union School in Bernau is now classified in the UNESCO World Heritage list
by Hannes Meyer, Bernau, Germany, 1928-1930. Restoration by Brenne Architekten, 2002-2007
DATE: 18/7/2017
Docomomo International is happy to inform that he former ADGB Trade Union School, designed by Hannes Meyer (1928-1930) and restored by Brenne Architekten (2002-2007) in Bernau, Germany, is now classified in the UNESCO World Heritage list.

"This site [The Bauhaus and its Sites in Weimar, Dessau and Bernau], which was inscribed on the World Heritage List in 1996, originally comprised the groups of buildings and monuments located in Weimar and Dessau, all built under the direction of Walter Gropius, the first director of the Bauhaus School. The extension of the property includes the Houses with Balcony Access in Dessau – three storey brick blocks for low-income students – and the ADGB Trade Union School in Bernau built under the direction of Hannes Meyer, successor to Gropius until 1930. This extension reflects the contribution of the department of architecture to the austere design, functionalism and social reform of the Bauhaus, a movement which was to revolutionise architectural thinking and practice in the 20th century." [1] by .

"Designed by Hannes Meyer and Hans Wittwer and completed in 1930, the School of the Federation of German Trade Unions (ADGB) in Bernau bei Berlin is a work by the famed Bauhaus in Dessau. The Bauhaus is viewed around the world as the most important art school of the twentieth-century. Its seminal efforts to develop a new approach to artistic and teaching methods in art, architecture and design are still relevant today.

The Trade Union School in Bernau was completed under Meyer, who served as director of the Bauhaus in Dessau during the design phase. Hans Wittwer, who became head of the building department and design office at the Bauhaus in 1928, worked extensively on the project through early 1929. Building design theory students and various design studios also participated in the design process, demonstrating the close nature of their involvement in Bauhaus projects. The Trade Union School is the second educational complex created by the Bauhaus after the Bauhaus building in Dessau, which was designed by architect Walter Gropius and built in 1925-26. The Trade Union School is today still a paragon of functional architectural design, which is freely and thoughtfully integrated into its natural surroundings.

The complex, including building extensions completed in the 1950s, has been listed in the monument register since 1977 and also enjoys special state monument protection status. Regard for the complex has increased dramatically both at home and abroad. In 2012, the federal states of Brandenburg, Saxony-Anhalt, and Thuringia submitted a proposal to include the ADGB Trade Union School and the Dessau-Törten Estate and its Balcony Access Houses in the UNESCO World Heritage List. These buildings would be added to the already listed Bauhaus sites of Dessau and Weimar." [2]


[1] UNESCO
[2] http://www.bauhaus-denkmal-bernau.de